Have you forgot your windows 7 password? I know its not easy when you forget your windows password and not able to login. Today, I will be showing you how to reset windows 7 password. For this you will need a windows installation disk or a Windows CD.
Please note that this procedure is for Windows 7 and not Windows 10. To reset password on Windows 10, there is a different procedure which I will explain in a different post.
- Windows Installation CD
How to Reset Windows 7 Password :
- Firstly, Insert the Windows Installation CD or Windows Disk.
- Start or Reboot your computer with Windows CD as startup disk. You can search on google on how to boot from a CD or a USB Drive. I am not going to explain it in this post.
- Once the computer boots from the CD or USB, the windows installation setup begins.
- On the setup screen, select ‘Repair your computer’ option from bottom left corner of the screen.
- Next you will be shown repair options. Select ‘Command Prompt’.
- Now enter the following commands one by one :
The first command will backup the sticky keys file and the second command will replace the sticky keys file with the command prompt executable.
- Once the commands are run successfully without any errors, Reboot your computer (Not from CD).
- You will be shown with the regular Login Screen to enter your password.
- At this screen we need to open command prompt to reset the password. To open command prompt, press the Shift key for 5 times continuously. If this doesn’t work, then click the Accessibility icon (a round blue icon at bottom left corner of login screen), it will open up command prompt.
- In the command prompt, enter the following command by replacing Username with your own username and Newpassword with your new password.
- That’s it. You have successfully reset your password. Now you can login with your new password.
If you want you can put back the sethc.exe back to its original location. To do this, again boot into windows setup and open command prompt as show in previous steps. Enter the following command :
Hope you liked this post. If you found this helpful, then please like it and share it on your social networks.